As the premier urban, public research university in Virginia, VCU’s mission is to advance knowledge and student success through its commitments to:
- an engaged, learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global setting;
- research that expands the boundaries of new knowledge and creative expression and promotes translational applications to improve human health;
- interdisciplinary collaborations that bring new perspectives to complex problems and mobilize creative energies that advance innovation and solve global challenges;
- health care that strives to preserve and restore health for all people, to seek the cause and cure of diseases through groundbreaking research, and to educate those who serve humanity;
- diversity that provides a climate of inclusion, a dedication to addressing disparities wherever they exist, and an opportunity to explore and create in an environment of trust;
- sustainable, university-community partnerships that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of the communities VCU serves in Virginia and around the world.
VCU will be a premier urban, public research university distinguished by its commitment to:
- the intellectual and academic success of a diverse student body;
- research and discovery that advances knowledge, inspires creativity and improves human health;
- the global engagement of students, faculty and staff that transforms lives and communities.
- Accountability – committing to the efficient and transparent stewardship of our resources to achieve institutional excellence.
- Achievement – ensuring distinction in learning, research and scholarly pursuits, service, and patient care.
- Collaboration – fostering collegiality and cooperation to advance learning, entrepreneurship, and inquiry.
- Freedom – striving for intellectual truth with responsibility and civility, respecting the dignity of all individuals.
- Innovation – cultivating discovery, creativity, originality, inventiveness, and talent.
- Service – engaging in the application of learning and discovery to improve the human condition and support the public good at home and abroad.
- Diversity – ensuring a climate of trust, honesty and integrity where all people are valued and differences are recognized as an asset.
- Integrity – adhering to the highest standards of honesty, respect and professional and scholarly ethics.
Our strategic plan continues to provide a framework for capitalizing on the outstanding assets that form the VCU experience — a commitment to educational quality, an environment that embraces diversity, an evolving research program with substantial increases in extramural funding, pre-eminent academic programs, an engaged community and a growing alumni base.
Themes and goals 2016-18
Become a leader among national research universities in providing all students with high-quality learning/living experiences focused on inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global environment
Goals and strategies:
- Recruit and retain talented and diverse students who will graduate at a higher rate than our Quest peers and serve as leaders in a well-educated workforce
- Develop experiential learning curriculum (Real World Experience or RWE) for full implementation with fall 2017 entering cohort (freshmen and transfer students)
- Strengthen programs / initiatives that support access, reduce student debt, increase internal financial assistance, and speed timely graduation
- Expand online course and program offerings
- Improve / redesign gateway courses
- Strengthen advising / career counseling
- Increase internal student financial aid (% UG need met; % 1st Professional student need met)
- Recruit and retain progressive and diverse faculty, staff and senior leadership with the skills and talents to advance quality teaching and learning, along with high-impact research, scholarship and creative expression
- Improve recruitment and retention of diverse faculty and staff
- Implement iCubed (research pipeline, cluster hiring and retention initiative)
Attain distinction as a fully integrated urban, public research university through contributions in human health, research, scholarship and creative expression that advance knowledge and enhance the quality of life
Goals and strategies:
- Leverage health system/university assets to address social determinants of health
- Increase interdisciplinary research and interprofessional education, scholarship and practice among arts, humanities and sciences Improve recruitment and retention of diverse faculty and staff
- Grow training-specific resources through the mechanisms of extramural training grants
- Sustain the success of high-performing research institutes and centers and engage stakeholders in identifying promising areas of research and academic program investment
- Receive NCI re-designation for Massey Cancer Center
Become a national model for community engagement and regional impact
Goals and strategies:
- Finalize design and begin implementation of the Center for Urban Communities (preliminary focus areas: K-12 education/lifelong learning and health literacy and access)
- Complete development of C4Uc infrastructure
- Create work/implementation plan to target identified community issue
- Launch of Community-Engaged Partnership Map
- Leverage and align efforts of students, faculty and staff to enhance, disseminate and integrate community-engaged scholarship, student service learning opportunities and outreach
- Implement strategies to partner with city/region in advancing economic development
- Articulation / establishment of key strategies in advancing economic development